Did you know that the average American wears only 20 percent of their clothes 80 percent of the time!
Yet we as a society are obsessed with the need to keep countless pieces of clothing that don't fit us, we've never worn, or went out of style ten years ago. I myself am a major clothes horse... I love them. I love shopping for them, I love wearing them, and I love creating cute outfits out of them.
I have implemented an in and out rule for my closet... "for every new piece that I bring into my clothes collection one must leave and be replaced." This ensures that I maintain the level that I have in my closet space and eliminates the temptation to stuff my closet so full of jeans, shoes, and tops that I can't find any of the ones that I am looking for.
Here are five ways that you can pare down your clothes collection and finally begin to tame the Clothes Monster that lurkes in most of our closets:
- Sell old clothes that do not fit yourself at a yard sale or on eBay.
- Have someone else sell your old clothes for you... consign them and get money or store credit for new items.
- Donate them to charities to help others who could use them more than you.
- Gift them to someone that you know is a similar size as you are.
- Recycle them in different ways. Used in craft projects, as dust rags, etc...
Happy clothes clearing!!!! If you need help with a project like this or another organizational project in your home contact us www.simpleorganizedsanity.com