Monday, May 24, 2010

My unexpected weekend...

Well... we took a week's break from blogging last week because we had some BIG things going on. Some things that I am very excited to be sharing with you all in upcoming posts over the next few weeks. However, today I am taking this opportunity to blog about something that every mother is very familiar with- the unexpected.

As a mother you can plan and plan but life with children is always bound to throw you a curve ball or two. I have learned the true test of motherhood is not in how well you plan all the time but how well you can respond to the curve balls that are hurled your way.

 As Friday drew to a close at my house, I was anxiously looking forwards to a wonderful weekend that was planned and laying out ahead of us. First up was to put our above ground pool up for the summer. Since the weather was calling for 90's by Sunday I thought it would be a great time to take our first dip of the summer. About 20 min. into the process we could tell that we had a problem. The pool was not filling up normally... after wasting an hour looking for a pinpoint sized hole it was patched and we went on with the set up process. Things were looking good until I got a phone call from a neighbor saying that my backyard was flooded... *sigh*.

 I ran to the backyard to discover that one entire side of the pool had caved in at hour three of the fill up process. I had planned to take a dip this weekend in my backyard but not IN MY BACKYARD.

 As I was struggling to save the pool my middle son who is six came outside looking very pale. He was complaining of a stomach ache, so I did what most moms would do. Sent him in to use the bathroom and told him I would be right there to check on him. When I got to the bathroom five min. later he was screaming and crying. He was burning up and screaming that he was having horrible pain on the right side of his tummy. Having lived through an appendix issue myself a red flag went up in my mind right away... I quickly had him in the car and the other two kids at my moms as we raced to the emergency room with my son still screaming and crying. My fears were confirmed and he was rushed into surgery Saturday afternoon to remove his offending appendix. This was defiantly not in the plan for this weekend!!! I am happy to report that after spending an extra day in the hospital due to a fever that would not go away we are headed home today to shower and recover in the comforts of our own home.

I share all of this with you for two reasons...

  • One, I want you to always remember... I too deal with life's nasty curve balls. I too have plans fall through and I too have to scramble to keep it all together at times. 
  • Two, I was reminded several times this weekend why being organized comes in handy in a time of crisis like ours this weekend. Tomorrow's blog is entitled Lessons Learned from the Hospital Stay... and I hope you come back to read and learn from from my experiences.  
For now I am going to log off and pray that my plan of a long hot shower and a home cooked meal for me and my son do not get messed up by any other curve balls today... I think I have played enough baseball for one weekend.  

2 comments:

Susie Buetow said...

Bless your heart! I wasn't on twitter much this weekend so I missed all of your tweets. My prayers go to your son that he recover quickly!
Can't wait to read more.
I was scared that you were going to say that you forgot to turn off the water to your pool in the rush to the hospital.

U rock!
@susieqtpies

Unknown said...

Oh my! I was wondering if everything was alright when I didn't see any new posts on your blog here. I can't imagine how scary that was. Sending lots of get-to-feeling-better-soon wishes to your son.