Monday, July 13, 2009

What should the average wardrobe consist of?

Americans, especially women, have an obsession with clothing! I am no different... I too love to shop for a great deal and a killer pair of shoes. I have implemented a rule in my closet, however, that for each new thing I bring in... a similar item must leave. This rule helps me control the volume of clothes that I hoard. Because let's be honest, we wear only 20% of our clothes 80% of the time... most of them just set on our shelves or hang on our hangers... never to see the outside of our closet again.

I recently had a client ask me as we were cleaning out her closet, "what are the guidelines for what an average wardrobe should consist of?" I told her that I would be happy to do some research on the topic, so for the last week I have been investigating the issue and this is the list that we have come up with. I encourage you to use this list much like I do in my closet... when you purchase a new little black dress, the old one needs to find a new home.

Here are our basic Wardrobe suggestions:

· One black dress
· One pair of classic black dress pants
· One denim skirt
· Depending on how often you dress up, several pairs of dress pants in various colors
· One white button down shirt
· 3-4 pairs of jeans that are in style and flatter your body shape
· 1-2 A line skirts that you can wear with several different tops
· 2-3 comfortable outfits
· A few pairs of comfortable capri pants for summer in neutral colors
· 3-4 cute dresses
· One cute vest
· A few pairs of shorts for the summer in neutral or denim
· A wide brown belt
· A wide black belt
· A couple of comfortable and stylish sweaters
· A great in style coat (trench style)
· A few nice t shirts (girl cut)
· A button up blouse or two
· A few long sleeved tops for when it's cold
· Some pretty tops for general everyday wear
· Some kind of sparkly/lacy top for the evenings out
· A couple of cardigans or shrugs to throw on when needed
· A couple of jackets, long and short. (blazer style)
· A pair of nice boots that can take you through Autumn and Winter
· A cute pair of flip flops
· A pair of nice sandals for summer
· A pair of pumps
· Cute killer heels for an evening out
· shoes for everyday wear and workout.
· Gym clothes (3 workout outfits)
· Pajamas (5 or so pairs of cute pairs)
· 7 pairs of Socks and underwear
· A couple of great fitting bras in the right size.
· At least one great scarf
· Winter gear: Mittens, hats, etc…

If you have thoughts or comments on this list I would love to hear them!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds about right. Too bad it takes up so much space.

Anonymous said...

thats definitely not enough

Anonymous said...

Definitely at least 14 pairs of underwear. I have only 3 bras right now, plus sports bras, and I wish for twice that many. I think you're working on the assumption that other people in the household are generating laundry so laundry gets done and folded twice a week. It's just not true for the single girl. Also, you forgot bathing suits and exercise clothes.

In addition, I think shopping in February, January, and August is important since we get the best deals on clothes then.

Anonymous said...

Work out clothes were listed, although I must admit someone that works out everyday might need a little more in the way of exercise gear, especially if laundry is not done on a bi-weekly basis; However, this was a list composed to be a BASIC wardrobe, and can be added to as an individual sees fit, depending on their lifestyle and preferences. I feel it was well-compiled.

Anonymous said...

this was written by a man.

Anonymous said...

Jean skirts? Ew, I think not.

Silvia Jacinto said...

We are all like flowers that blooms or withered in the garden depending on how we take good care of our self. So do not let negativity pass through. Enjoy and be confident. Have a good day and visit my site for more information.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Silvia Jacinto said...

I am very happy to visit your site and i did like it. I was able to get some informative topics. keep it up and you can also visit my site for your reference. Thank you and have a good day.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net