Americans, especially women, have an obsession with clothing! I am no different... I too love to shop for a great deal and a killer pair of shoes. I have implemented a rule in my closet, however, that for each new thing I bring in... a similar item must leave. This rule helps me control the volume of clothes that I hoard. Because let's be honest, we wear only 20% of our clothes 80% of the time... most of them just set on our shelves or hang on our hangers... never to see the outside of our closet again.
I recently had a client ask me as we were cleaning out her closet, "what are the guidelines for what an average wardrobe should consist of?" I told her that I would be happy to do some research on the topic, so for the last week I have been investigating the issue and this is the list that we have come up with. I encourage you to use this list much like I do in my closet... when you purchase a new little black dress, the old one needs to find a new home.
Here are our basic Wardrobe suggestions:
· One black dress
· One pair of classic black dress pants
· One denim skirt
· Depending on how often you dress up, several pairs of dress pants in various colors
· One white button down shirt
· 3-4 pairs of jeans that are in style and flatter your body shape
· 1-2 A line skirts that you can wear with several different tops
· 2-3 comfortable outfits
· A few pairs of comfortable capri pants for summer in neutral colors
· 3-4 cute dresses
· One cute vest
· A few pairs of shorts for the summer in neutral or denim
· A wide brown belt
· A wide black belt
· A couple of comfortable and stylish sweaters
· A great in style coat (trench style)
· A few nice t shirts (girl cut)
· A button up blouse or two
· A few long sleeved tops for when it's cold
· Some pretty tops for general everyday wear
· Some kind of sparkly/lacy top for the evenings out
· A couple of cardigans or shrugs to throw on when needed
· A couple of jackets, long and short. (blazer style)
· A pair of nice boots that can take you through Autumn and Winter
· A cute pair of flip flops
· A pair of nice sandals for summer
· A pair of pumps
· Cute killer heels for an evening out
· shoes for everyday wear and workout.
· Gym clothes (3 workout outfits)
· Pajamas (5 or so pairs of cute pairs)
· 7 pairs of Socks and underwear
· A couple of great fitting bras in the right size.
· At least one great scarf
· Winter gear: Mittens, hats, etc…
If you have thoughts or comments on this list I would love to hear them!